Tips to a place that you don't know the language

What do you do when visiting or staying in the area that you do not master the language. For a traveler, the language barrier is not a big problem. With a number of tips, the travelers can visit the places that they do not understand the language and gain valuable experience. Some community members share their tips below. Hopefully useful to you.

1. Bringing cheat sheet of paper.

“I usually carry an index card (or write on the back cover lists the dictionary or your guide book) the words that I would normally see on board markers, particularly the words to the contrary, such as: entry-exit; top-down; out – signed; push-pull; wait-go. ”

2. Back to school

“Sign up to language courses at language institutions in your area. I learn Italian for 9 months in my area several years ago and learned so many things. Then, you can continue to listen to the tape. Courses that will help you understand grammar and how formed sentences. ”

3. Always smiling

“Remember that a smile is always understood in all languages. Many people (especially young people) can speak English, and would be happy to try to talk to you in English if you try to use the words please and thank you in the local language.”

4. Master the basic phrases

“I always try to understand the language of 50-100 words used in the country I will visit. Especially phrases like ‘in which …’,’ please …’, ‘thank you’, ’sorry, I’m not good at speaking …’.”

5. Eat at local restaurants

“For the diet, avoid restaurants that use two languages because it is usually a trap for tourists who only offer a bad meal at a great price. Find someone who can interpret the menu for you, and you’ll get better food and more authentic. ”

6. Do not hesitate to ask for help

“I also know how to say ‘What do you call here, or how you say it in …’ so I can point to something and the local people would teach me a new vocabulary. I also say ‘please write to me’, ask someone write a new word. ”

7. Make learning the language so your travel destination.

“Struggling several years at night school once a week, and finally gave it to learn a foreign language. Intensive two-week trip really opened my eyes. I did not make a big step in the ‘formal learning’. However, after a few days, I no longer nervous when speaking in that language. To me, this is a tremendous progress. ”

No comments:

Post a Comment